Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Penny for your thoughts!!!!

I had decided to take a bus to work last Friday. As I entered through the central door, I glanced at the back and saw her sitting at the second last, corner window seat. She was cute girl with a small stature, shoulder length hair and dimpled cheeks. She seemed fairly cut off from the rest of the bus and deep in her own world. The bus seemed fairly crowded that morning, so I made my way to the back seat and sat right behind her. She looked up at me as I passed and smiled. I saw a sparkle in her eyes and happiness all across her face; though I didn’t understand why. As I settled into my seat, I noticed that she was writing something down in a diary. Now, it has been a while since I have seen anyone write into a diary so it got be quite curious as to what she was writing. People don’t write diaries anymore, while many consider it a complete waste of time. Most people tend to write in the night, so I wondered what this girl would be writing so early in the morning.



As l looked out of the window, I noticed that I could see the reflection of her diary in the window. As I tried to read it, I regretted not having learned to read mirrored words!!! I never imagined I would need this particular obscure skill this particular morning. With some effort, I put together the words and then pegged a sentence out of it. It read, “It rained yesterday evening and it was beautiful”. As I glanced through the page, I read more happy moments; and she kept writing about things which made her smile throughout the day. At this moment, I stopped trying to read the reflected diary page. Although happiness increases when shared, she seemed perfectly content in writing them down and smiling to herself and I didn’t want to impose upon her. I now understood that glint and passion I saw in her eyes earlier. It reflected all those moments which she was remembering. Those moments made her smile yesterday and now as she wrote them down, it brought that smile back on her face. The buy one get one free offer seems very tempting.


As people passed by the bus, hurrying to their daily routines, I glanced up into the slightly cloudy sky and smiled to myself. I now know this one girl who remembers her happy moments every morning so that she remembered how beautiful and wonderful yesterday was. She is able to start her day smiling so I can surely bet that it goes much better than those who start their day sulking. She would reach her work beaming and grinning, thinking about yesterday and eager for a better today. That smile would of course be contagious and would make everyone around her smile as well.


As my stop came closer, I got up and moved towards the door. I glanced back to see that she was still writing. Occasionally she would look out of the window, always with a broad smile across her face and then immerse herself into her diary again. As the bus stopped, I grinned as got down and walked towards my office building. My thoughts were now filled up with yesterday’s football game, the jokes and bourbon chocolate biscuits in the pantry, the funny patents I read, the wind blowing on my face.....

No comments:

Post a Comment