Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Comfort is a vice of life.

 I had a troubling experience today. I am usually one of the craziest motorbike riders in this part of town. I have fallen, injured myself badly and also had a near death experience, all on the same motorbike. But after spending three years in the United States, I felt today that I nearly lost that edge over life which I had earlier.

 Life in the US can be best described as the safest life on this planet. People cross the road without care knowing that the considerate driver of an automobile will stop for them. No one (Except for the ones on Wildest Police Videos) breaks lanes, speed limits or any traffic rules. That is transportation to its utmost perfection. India, on the other hand is complete opposite. Anybody crosses anywhere they want too. People will never stop for you to cross the road and will try to get across as fast as possible. No one is considerate towards anyone else on the road. It's considered as utter chaos, specially in Bombay. And after spending 3 years in that relaxed environment in the US, I have become cautions when I cross the road. I don't speed as much now-a-days. Neither do I cut across lanes and other slow moving vehicles. I, have become what I feared the most. I have become afraid of getting hurt; which is not a bad thing but not a good thing either (At least for me).

   Life on the road is a struggle which you must endure everyday. We are supposed to be continuously evolving. But evolution is a condition that occurs due to a struggle or a need. If we have no need, we will not evolve. Because they needed to swim, fish developed fins and lungs. Because they wanted to fly, the birds developed wings. Evolution is a process that occurs when you are in a desperate need and in difficult times. But as technology advances, mankind is making his life as easy as it can get. We now even get peanut-butter and jelly in the same jar. Is is that difficult to open another jar of jam? Is it so necessary that you need an elevator to climb up a few floors when our ancestors walked across mountains and deserts for plain food and water. We have advanced; but our bodies are going in the opposite direction. Life on the road is a struggle which you must endure everyday.

 My advise, make your life a little bit tougher. Do the crossword and puzzles in the paper to keep your mind active. Take the stairs and do a bit of a run just for fun. Try remembering phone numbers instead of saving them in your cellphone. Use a notebook instead of MS Word. Every little thing counts and make every other little thing count. Only when you struggle, will you improve. Only when you fall down, will you get up stronger. Only when you get hurt

No comments:

Post a Comment